Summary: The Enbridge School Plus Program was established in 2009 in partnership with the Assembly of First Nations to support enrichment programming and extracurricular activities in First Nations schools near major Enbridge pipeline routes and our wind farm in Ontario. Over 70 First Nations schools are currently eligible for the program.
The overall goal of School Plus is to encourage First Nations youth to stay in school by funding enjoyable extra-curricular programs to which students would not otherwise have access.
The School Plus Program provides substantial financial support each year to teachers who wish to undertake programs and activities that are not fully funded as part of each school’s standard curriculum. Projects from all grade levels, from kindergarten through high school, are eligible for support. Teachers in eligible schools may apply for financial support, up to a maximum grant of $20,000 per project.
Over the last three years, the program has awarded over $2 million in School Plus grants and benefited more than 7,000 First Nation students in Western Canada and Ontario.
The program expanded in 2010 to include initiatives that build strength and sustainability in Métis and urban Aboriginal communities. Enbridge is proud to partner with the following organizations:
- Métis Child and Family Services in Edmonton to provide the Enbridge Hot Lunch program at Highlands School in inner city Edmonton.
- The Gabriel Dumont Institute in Saskatchewan to support a teaching resource on the history of the Métis people for public and Catholic schools near our right-of-way.
- The University of Winnipeg to fund the Enbridge Eco-Kids on Campus program to enable youth from two inner city schools in Winnipeg to receive enriched science programming at the University of Winnipeg once a week for 10 weeks.
- Stardale Women’s Group to support the Honouring the Girls’ Stories program that builds mentoring relationships and nurtures artistic expression among Aboriginal girls in Calgary.
- MacKenzie Art Gallery to support an urban outreach program that provides quality arts education to on-reserve and inner city students in Regina.