Source: Métis Nation of Ontario
Summary: In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (“MNO”) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure.
Some of the goals set out in the MNO Statement of Prime Purpose include:
- Creating a Métis-specific governance structure for the implementation of the nation’s inherent right to self-government in the province;
- Establishing a credible and recognized identification system for Métis people within the province;
- Focusing on ‘nation building’ through working together as a collective in order to support Métis citizens and communities;
- Pursuing a rights-based agenda and proudly asserting the Métis existence as a distinct Aboriginal people within Ontario;
- Protecting and preserving the distinct culture and heritage of the Métis Nation in the province; and,
Improving the social and economic well-being of Métis children, families and communities throughout the province.